Chris Storm Nielsen is production manager for the concrete work at the housing project Flintholm. His goal is to master the role as production manager and after that to become project manager. In his free time, Chris runs a senior football team. He brings the overview and coordination from his coaching job with him to work.
- My dad knows that MT Højgaard is a large Danish company, and he is proud that I work here. I am just as proud of him, and I learn a lot, when we talk about our work.
Concrete in the blood
- Concrete means a lot to my family. It might sound weird, but that’s what it’s like having an uncle who used to supervise a concrete work gang in MT Højgaard, and a dad who is a concrete worker. I've been raised with stories about castings and craftmanship, so it’s no coincidence that I chose the outside office on a construction site. I feel at home here.
- My dad knows that MT Højgaard Danmark is a large Danish company, and he is proud that I work here. I am just as proud of him, and I learn a lot, when we talk about our work. We often discuss challenges on the construction site. He has a different perspective than me, and that's worth gold. When the family is gathered at the dinner table, we mostly talk about building and football.
A good mentor provided security
- I graduated as a Bachelor of Engineering from DTU in 2020. On my fifth semester I had my internship. One of my instructors was from MT Højgaard, and he helped me get a position on Ny Islands Brygge Skole. I helped with the bidding at first, and then I assisted the production manager. I created working drawings for the workers and quality assured concrete and reinforcement.
- The production manager was a fantastic mentor. We sat head-to-head at our desks, so I could ask him, anytime I needed help. I was straight out of school, and he really provided security. After my internship I became a student worker and helped finish the shell. It gave me a practical approach to in situ-work and mounting.
- My final project on my Bachelor was about the MT Højgaard-project Flintholm. Along with two fellow students I worked on the project design, which at the time hadn’t started. In 2020 I signed my contract. I got the unique opportunity to become a production manager. Now I’m a part of a strong team, and we're creating a great housing project. It's awesome experience to put on my CV.
- My own goal is to become the best production manager possible.
Overview and coordination skills from football
- Football plays a big part in my life. I have played at a high level myself, and today I'm coaching a senior team. That takes overview and coordination skills. I have a competitive mindset, and that's an advantage on the construction site, where the client and the subcontractors have high expectations. I need to deliver every day.
Wants to master the role as production manager
- It's good to have a clear goal in football and on the construction site. My own goal is to become the best production manager possible. When that happens, I want to become a good project manager. But let’s take one match at a time.