Data centres are some of the most challenging projects in the construction industry and since Darin Strutt likes working internationally and enjoys a good challenge, it has been an easy choice for him to build data centres for MT Højgaard Danmark.
- I am 54 and I like it here. You never know what can happen, but I can easily see myself staying here until I retire.
Denmark was an easy decision
Scottish Senior Project Manager Darin Strutt grew up in Edinburgh where his father worked as a bricklayer. He was 16 years old when he decided that construction should be his line of work. Following in his father’s footsteps, Darin worked his way up from the tools into management and attained a master's degree in Construction Project Management and continued to become a qualified ISO auditor. He has used his education to work internationally and before he started working for MT Højgaard Danmark in 2018, he worked 6 years for LG Group in South Korea as well as a short time in the Middle East.
- After working in Korea, I got an opportunity to work with data centers in the Special Projects division in MT Højgaard Danmark. It was an easy decision for me as Scotland and Denmark have similar climates and 95 % of the Danes speak English.
Darin has previously tried working 6 days a week for 10 hours or more per day, so the more relaxed Danish work-life balance has suited him well.
- The companies care about the employees and I´ve enjoyed my time here. I am a people person that likes to go out and I play a lot of golf - both in the local club and with the MT Højgaard golf club.
- Communication and chemistry are a big part of the job and I do what I can to ensure total transparency between us and the client.
In it for the challenges
Darin has always enjoyed a challenge and working within construction for 38 years, his bar for challenging projects has gradually raised. Today he spends his time on some of the most challenging construction projects in the industry: Data centres.
- Data centres are highly secured buildings that need to live up to strict regulations regarding both securities inside and out as well as being environmentally controlled internally and energy efficient. Sustainability is high on the agenda for Data Center clients with certifications from BREEAM or LEED to name but a few, being a must, which also makes you feel like you’re giving something back to the environment. The build process must be documented down to the last detail providing full traceability, and all material must be carefully reviewed and approved so there is a huge amount of administration involved. This process can take many weeks, so everything has to be planned down to the last detail. Our number 1 priority is of course Health & Safety, we do everything we can to ensure all employees go home the same way they arrived.
- Our number 1 priority is of course Health & Safety, we do everything we can to ensure all employees go home the same way they arrived.
Communication is the key
Darin's role as a Senior Project Manager is to be the link between MT Højgaard Danmark and the client and to ensure that the project progresses according to the plan in terms of time, quality and cost.
- Communication and chemistry are a big part of the job and I do what I can to ensure total transparency between us and the client. I like working with logistics, documentation and there is plenty of both in my job, so I thrive here.
Having worked in Scotland, South Korea, Qatar and Denmark you might imagine that Darin is soon ready for an adventure in a new country, however, this is not the case.
- I am 54 and I like it here. You never know what can happen, but I can easily see myself staying here until I retire. I like my job, my colleagues and local golf, so I plan to work with MT Højgaard Danmark for many years to come.